SubjectRe: [LONG RANT] Re: Linux stifles innovation...
Thus spake Henning P . Schmiedehausen (hps@intermeta.de):
> "If a company does not write a driver which works on all hardware
> platforms in all cases and gives us the source, then it is better,
> that the company writes no drivers at all."

> "If I can't force a company to write a driver for everyone, then I
> don't want to write them any driver at all."

> IMHO you're like a spoiled kid: "If I can't have it, noone should have it".

Henning, what is the matter with you?

I bought the hardware. Why should I pay for the driver?
Not even on Windows you pay extra for a driver!

Please state your intentions. Why would you want to split the Linux
user base into people who pay companies to screw them (I get a driver
for hardware I already paid for, but the driver will work with exactly
one kernel version on one hardware) and people who think they deserve
support when they buy hardware?

Why do we even have to discuss drivers?
A company that actively hinders developing a good driver with patents,
NDAs or other legal crap does not deserve my money. If you throw your
money at such people, you deserve everything you get.

Felix

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.466 / U:0.140 seconds]