    SubjectRe: Linux stifles innovation...
    Alan Cox <> écrit :
    > > For example, if there were six different companies that marketed ethernet
    > > drivers for the eepro100, you'd have a choice of which one to buy..perhaps
    > > with different "features" that were of value to you. Instead, you have
    > > crappy GPL code that locks up under load, and its not worth spending
    > Umm I find the driver very reliable. And actually I have choice of two
    > eepro100 drivers eepro100.c and e100.c so you cant even pick an example.
    > Of course your keenness to let people write alternative free drivers for
    > your etinc pci card is extremely well known. Fortunately despite your best
    > efforts there is now a choice in 2.4

    Some words from the Ural mountains...
    I wouldn't suggest to use my code in a production environment today (that's
    why it's labelled 'EXPERIMENTAL' :o) ):
    - I'm bad at handling Receive Data Overflow events. Here I suffer
    from the lack of ability to trigger it. Now that I'm sharing my flat
    with a (decent) traffic analyzer, I should be able to fix that.
    - there are issues with the upper layers (I must do some more test
    and document the whole).
    - the current way to handle the 'DSCC4 sometime forgets events' failure is
    really gross and sub-optimal.

    I've found time to buy a brand new computer and it should *really* help for
    these two points.

    So far, my driver hasn't the required reliability that one expects to
    build a 4 ports router. Etinc's one may be better at this now*.
    Well, I'll fix it. No need to be a genius.

    Dennis, thanks to your closed source vision, I found an opportunity to
    fill a gap. Now, some people are willing to make $$$ with me.

    *but it's not that difficult to find a way to crash it. A "Don't do that"
    section on Etincs site would nicely replace the "Mine is bigger than yours"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.026 / U:6.220 seconds]