SubjectRe: Linux stifles innovation...
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> écrit :
[...]
> > For example, if there were six different companies that marketed ethernet
> > drivers for the eepro100, you'd have a choice of which one to buy..perhaps
> > with different "features" that were of value to you. Instead, you have
> > crappy GPL code that locks up under load, and its not worth spending
>
> Umm I find the driver very reliable. And actually I have choice of two
> eepro100 drivers eepro100.c and e100.c so you cant even pick an example.
>
> Of course your keenness to let people write alternative free drivers for
> your etinc pci card is extremely well known. Fortunately despite your best
> efforts there is now a choice in 2.4

Some words from the Ural mountains...
I wouldn't suggest to use my code in a production environment today (that's
why it's labelled 'EXPERIMENTAL' :o) ):
- I'm bad at handling Receive Data Overflow events. Here I suffer
from the lack of ability to trigger it. Now that I'm sharing my flat
with a (decent) traffic analyzer, I should be able to fix that.
- there are issues with the upper layers (I must do some more test
and document the whole).
- the current way to handle the 'DSCC4 sometime forgets events' failure is
really gross and sub-optimal.

I've found time to buy a brand new computer and it should *really* help for
these two points.

So far, my driver hasn't the required reliability that one expects to
build a 4 ports router. Etinc's one may be better at this now*.
Well, I'll fix it. No need to be a genius.

Dennis, thanks to your closed source vision, I found an opportunity to
fill a gap. Now, some people are willing to make $$$ with me.

*but it's not that difficult to find a way to crash it. A "Don't do that"
section on Etincs site would nicely replace the "Mine is bigger than yours"
pages.
--
Ueimor