    SubjectRe: 8139 full duplex?
    On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Rogier Wolff wrote:
    > Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > > On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Rogier Wolff wrote:
    > > > I have a bunch of computers with 8139 cards. When I moved the cables
    > > > over from my hub to my new switch all the "full duplex" lights came on
    > > > immediately.
    > > >
    > > > Would this mean that the driver/card already were in full-duplex? That
    > > > would explain me seeing way too many collisions on that old hub (which
    > > > obviously doesn't support full-duplex).
    > > >
    > > > (Some machines run 2.2 kernels, others run 2.4 kernels some run the
    > > > old driver, others run the 8139too driver).
    > >
    > > Some versions of the driver bork the LED register, which may lead to
    > > false assumptions.
    > Does the driver control the led on my switch?????

    No, the switch does that.

    > (My cards just have a "link" led, and a "100Mbps" led)

    Ah... Mine have an FD indicator. I think - it's a while since I last
    looked closely enough at the back of the machine to tell :)

    > I'm not going back to the hub after upgrading just to see the
    > changeover messages. I'm confident that we're running full-duplex now
    > on the switch and that that's OK with the switch. I was just wondering
    > wether this confirmed my suspicion that there was something wrong with
    > the /duplexicity/.

    I suppose one machine could have auto-negotiated wrongly - was it a Linux
    box? I've seen Win2k fail to negotiate the best settings - running HD on a
    switch - but I haven't seen FD on a hub...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.035 / U:4.204 seconds]