SubjectRe: [patch] 2.4.2-pre3: parport_pc init_module bug
Philipp Rumpf wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Grant Grundler wrote:
> > Having people look things up in the spec isn't very user friendly.
>
> Having the constants in some well-known header file should be sufficient,
> shouldn't it ?

I would hope anyone bothering to include the constants in a document would
spend a few minutes explaining them as well. Perhaps a bad assumption
on my part...

> It depends on the platform and maybe the exact PCI slot used, but I don't
> think it depends on the driver (unless MSI support is broken in which case
> you would want to fix it up in the driver).

correct.

> At least I can't find
> anything in the PCI 2.2 spec that would suggest we need to consult the
> driver before enabling MSIs with one message only.

I don't know how BIOS's treat this (if at all). Need to know this first.
If they manage this resource and pre-assign everything, ok.
That's how it goes.

But if generic PCI manages this, I prefer to avoid allocating resources
that may not get used. The host platform may have a limited pool of
usable MSI data values (think parisc EIRR bits) and some cards may want
to use more than one MSI.

grant

ps. seems this thread has gotten a bit far off from the original subject. :^/

Grant Grundler
parisc-linux {PCI|IOMMU|SMP} hacker
+1.408.447.7253

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.077 / U:0.312 seconds]