SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Animated framebuffer logo for 2.4.1
>I've seen in recently purchased computers that the very initial
>messages, like memory test, are masked by some kind of picture or logo
>(example are the HP kayaks). They display a message saying that pressing
>ESC or some function key displays the messages. Why not having the same
>in this pretty boot option. I wouldn't mind not seeing all those
>messages.

Not good enough in isolation. Suppose the kernel freezes at a very early
stage, such as while detecting the CPU(s) or PCI bridge - are your geeky
reaction times fast enough to dismiss the logo in time to see the relevant
messages? I agree with others that this should be a boot option - and not
one that needs said option to switch it off (though there should be one).

Eg: in lilo.conf use append = "bootlogo" to turn the logo on (it should
always be off by default, but can be turned on by distro makers or
end-users) - but then if you type "linux nologo" at the LILO prompt, the
"nologo" should over-ride the "bootlogo" so there's always a way to see all
the messages.

from: Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail: chromi@cyberspace.org (not for attachments)
big-mail: chromatix@penguinpowered.com
uni-mail: j.d.morton@lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/vnc/

Please read the FAQ at http://vger.kernel.org/lkml/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.109 / U:0.028 seconds]