SubjectRe: lkml subject line
On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Mike Harrold wrote:

>> > There are advantages: distinguish personal messages from mailing list
>> > messages, and distinguish between different mailing lists. And
>> > disadvantages - maybe only one: sacrificing valuable Subject: line
>> > space.
>> The advantages can all be gained without that disadvantage by just learning
>> to filter mail on other headers instead of the subject line.
>Assuming your mail reader can do that (and no, I can't change my mail

You can use procmail to filter your mail VERY easily. Penalizing
an entire list of 7000 people or more just because 3 people can't
use a sane modern mail reader is just senseless.

This filters linux-kernel into the folder LINUX-KERNEL

cat >> ~/.procmailrc <<EOF
* ^X-Mailing-List:.*
* ^Sender:.*linux-kernel-owner@vger

That said, and while we're on the topic.. Does anyone have a
*PERFECT* recipe for procmail to REMOVE the stupid [Dummy] things
most GNU mailman lists and others prepend to the subject? is one such list and I have given up on
complaining to list maintainers of other lists to change this,
and would rather fix it on my end once than complain to others.

I asked on procmail-list and got some feedback but it didn't give
me a useable filter..

Any help appreciated..

Mike A. Harris - Linux advocate - Free Software advocate
This message is copyright 2001, all rights reserved.
Views expressed are my own, not necessarily shared by my employer.
If it weren't for C, we'd all be programming in BASI and OBOL.