    SubjectRe: [LK] Re: lkml subject line
    On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Timur Tabi wrote:

    >> Which is retarded. The subject line is for the subject. Other
    >> headers exist for letting one know where they came from.
    >
    >There's only one problem with this. It assumes that for every
    >mailing list you are on, you will have a folder into which all
    >such email is placed.

    No it does not. You are free to filter your mail however you
    wish. I put all the "caudium" lists into one folder for example.
    These lists unfortunately put the stupid [caudium-blah] in the
    subject, but I now can filter it out. If I want to look at just a
    specific list, I can use PINE's search feature.

    >I subscribe to about 35 mailing lists, many of which have low
    >traffic.

    I subscribe to 90+ lists, many of which are low traffic.

    >I don't want to create a separate folder for each list.

    Nor do I.

    >Because most of these mailing lists are on Yahoo Groups, I get
    >a nice prefix to each subject line that tells me the mailing
    >list.

    If that is important to you, and is the default for the list,
    cool.

    >In can then filter all of these messages into one folder. So
    >instead of having to scan 20 folders, I only need to scan one.

    You can do the same wether or not the subject contains the list
    name. It is very simple.

    >The point I'm trying to make is that there are perfectly valid
    >reasons to include some text on the subject line to indicate
    >the mailing list.

    I have yet to hear a single good reason. Any reasons I've heard
    any time in the last 7 years, have NOT been good reasons because
    the reasons given always have another way of doing the EXACT same
    thing, only without abusing the subject header.
    Give me a good reason, and I'll give you an alternate way of
    achieving the same thing - without messing up the subject.

    >People who feel this way may be in the majority, but then
    >again, people who use Linux are also in the majority. Does
    >that make them wrong or "retarded"? No.

    Read what I said again. I never said anyone was retarded at all.
    I said specifically: "Which is retarded" refering to the process
    of a list putting the name on the subject header.

    What I am trying to say is that there are better ways of doing
    the exact same things, without abusing the DEFINITIONS of a given
    header. To illustrate further, consider instead of using the
    subject header if mailing lists put the list name in the DATE
    header.

    Date: [linux-kernel] Jan 12, 2000 ....

    Pretty dumb eh? And annoying. And, you cant read the date in
    index mode because all you see is:

    419 [linux-k Timur Tabi (3,617) Re: [LK] Re: lkml subject line

    Can't see the date because the dumb list puts the listname in the
    date field!

    No different for subject. Here is an example:

    N 69 Jan 29 David Hedbor (3,446) [caudium-commits] CVS: caudium/server

    So when I look at the index, to scan which messages might be
    interesting, by looking at the subject - which has the purpose of
    summarizing the content/context of the message, I see 60%
    bullshit, and 14 characters of subject. In order to get any
    useful meaning I must read every message just to see a useful
    part of the subject. Either that or use a 160 column video mode
    instead of 80. Why? Because someone sets a list to put the damn
    list name in the subject, because some user can't learn how to
    use an email filter properly.

    What is right:

    1) not putting the thing in the subject from the list side
    2) If an end user wants it in the subject, they can set up a mail
    filter to PUT it in the subject.

    :0 fwh
    * ^Sender:.*owner-linux-kernel
    | sed -e 's/^Subject: /Subject: [lkml]/'
    :0 A:
    lkml

    The above filter should add [lkml] to your subject line. So why
    try to force it on everyone?

    If the above procmail filter doesn't work (untested) let me know
    and I will MAKE it work. Windows users - tough luck - procmail
    is open source - hire someone to port it...

    Mike A. Harris - Linux advocate - Free Software advocate
    This message is copyright 2001, all rights reserved.
    Views expressed are my own, not necessarily shared by my employer.

    Windows 95(n) - 32-bit extensions and graphical shell for a 16-bit patch
    to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.067 / U:0.240 seconds]