SubjectRe: LILO and serial speeds over 9600
Date
Followup to:  <Pine.LNX.4.10.10102120849580.3761-100000@main.cyclades.com>
By author: Ivan Passos <lists@cyclades.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Since I still want to add support for speeds up to 115200, the other two
> questions are still up (see below):
>
> > - If not, do I need to change just LILO to do that, or do I need to change
> > the kernel as well (I don't think I'd need to do that too, as the serial
> > console kernel code does support up to 115.2Kbps, but it doesn't hurt to
> > ask ... ;) ??
> > - Does another bootloader (e.g. GRUB) support serial speeds higher than
> > 9600bps?? If so, which one(s)??
>
> I'd really appreciate any help.

SYSLINUX supports up to 57600 (it doesn't support 115200 because it
stores the number in a 16-bit register) but seriously... why the heck
does this matter? It isn't booting the kernel off the serial line,
you know. A console at 38400 is really quite sufficient... if you
need something more than that, you probably should be logging in via
the network.

I have toyed a few times about having a simple Ethernet- or UDP-based
console protocol (TCP is too heavyweight, sorry) where a machine would
seek out a console server on the network. Anyone has any ideas about
it?

-hpa
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt