SubjectGetting user input from the kernel?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Is it possible to get user input from within the kernel?

I am trying to develop simple text-based user interface for a user to
perform some security critical actions, i.e. logging in. Basically, I am
trying to implement a security manager that will be invoked via the magic
key sequence. For all you security gurus this is a trusted path.

Once the user has invoked my kernel code, I believe I can use printk to
provide output to the user. However, there is no equivalent scank. How can
I get user input from the kernel?

Can this be done, or should I use the magic key sequence to launch a user
mode process that will implement the security manager I have in mind? Also
does it make a difference whether I use kernel 2.2 or 2.4?

Thanks

Jerome

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.036 / U:3.468 seconds]