SubjectRe: spelling of disc (disk) in /devfs
Dr. Kelsey Hudson wrote:

> It had always been my assumption that non-optical storage media used the
> 'disk' spelling, whereas optical media, such as CDs, DVDs, and MO, were
> reffered to using the 'disc' spelling.

I can remember having this argument back in the days of the BBC Micro. The
BBC is the only machine I have ever seen that used 'disc'... In those days
I assumed it was correct. Over time, I came to accept that we used 'disk' for
the same reasons we use 'program' rather than 'programme'.

I haven't heard anyone in the UK spell it 'disc' for years....

When I last tried devfs (around the 2.4.0test era - a short and painful experience, but
that's another story) I was confused by the use of 'disc'. IMHO it should be changed,
because it's simply wrong, even in england (so please stop blaming us for it!).

Tony

--
"User DATA\tmh cannot be created because DATA\tmh does not exist."
Windows -- Great UI huh?

tmh@magenta-netlogic.com http://www.nothing-on.tv