SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.1-ac7
On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> > > o Rebalance the 2.4.1 VM (Rik van Riel)
> This change makes my box swap madly under load. It appears to be
> keeping more cache around than is really needed, and therefore
> having to resort to swap instead. The result is MUCH more I/O than
> previous kernels while doing the same exact job.

I concur this, I watched a DVD tonight, and actually it got so bad
I had to reboot at one point as the it became too jerky to watch.
free output looked like this at this point...

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 254960 253252 1708 0 24116 174500
-/+ buffers/cache: 54636 200324
Swap: 248996 20848 228148

It appeared, that rather than free the cached buffers and reuse the
memory, it preferred to hit swap space. Streaming I/O performance seems
to have taken a hit lately.

(This was 2.4.1-ac9 btw)

regards,

Dave.