SubjectRe: [reiserfs-list] Re: VM brokenness, possibly related to reiserfs

On Thursday, February 01, 2001 02:16:43 PM -0200 Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:

> About the system hanging completely, I wonder if it goes
> away by pressing sysrq-S (sync all disks). If it does,
> maybe Reiserfs was blocking all the pages in the inactive
> list from being written because one of the active pages
> (not a replacement candidate) needed to be written out
> first? Or does the Reiserfs ->writepage() function handle
> this?

In most cases, the reiserfs writepage func is the same as block_write_full_page. The only difference should come when a packed tail has been mmap'd.

Since JOURNAL_MAX_BATCH was at 100, the log should have only pinned 400k. More blocks could be pinned, but kreiserfsd should be in the process of flushing those.

I've been trying out a few things to send memory pressure down to reiserfs, but they have mostly been based on the code to make fs/buffer.c use writepage for flushing. I should have done something simple first, I'll start on that now.

-chris

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.132 / U:0.036 seconds]