    SubjectRe: [Kiobuf-io-devel] RFC: Kernel mechanism: Compound event wait /notify + callback chains
    > > Linus basically designed the original kiobuf scheme of course so I guess
    > > he's allowed to dislike it. Linus disliking something however doesn't mean
    > > its wrong. Its not a technically valid basis for argument.
    > Sure. But Linus saing that he doesn't want more of that (shit, crap,
    > I don't rember what he said exactly) in the kernel is a very good reason
    > for thinking a little more aboyt it.

    No. Linus is not a God, Linus is fallible, regularly makes mistakes and
    frequently opens his mouth and says stupid things when he is far too busy.

    > Espescially if most arguments look right to one after thinking more about
    > it...

    I agree with the issues about networking wanting lightweight objects, Im
    unconvinced however the existing setup for networking is sanely applicable
    for real world applications in other spaces.

    Take video capture. I want to stream 60Mbytes/second in multi-megabyte
    chunks between my capture cards and a high end raid array. The array wants
    1Mbyte or large blocks per I/O to reach 60Mbytes/second performance.

    This btw isnt benchmark crap like most of the zero copy networking, this is
    a real world application..

    The current buffer head stuff is already heavier than the kio stuff. The
    networking stuff isnt oriented to that kind of I/O and would end up
    needing to do tons of extra processing.

    > For disk I/O it makes the handling a little easier for the cost of the
    > additional offset/length fields.

    I remain to be convinced by that. However you do get 64bytes/cacheline on
    a real processor nowdays so if you touch any of that 64byte block you are
    practically zero cost to fill the rest.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.022 / U:17.648 seconds]