    SubjectRe: 2.4.1 not fully sane on Alpha - file systems
    On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 10:46:12AM -0500, John Jasen wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
    > > I just tried to boot 2.4.1 kernel on Alpha UP1100. This machine
    > > happens to have two SCSI disks on sym53c875 controller and two IDE
    > > drives hooked to a builtin "Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M5229 IDE".
    > ALI M1535D pci-ide bridge, isn't it? That's what the specs on
    > API's webpage seem to indicate.

    'lspci' claims that this is:

    "07.0 Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M1533 PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV]"

    > Try this for fun: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null bs=4096, and see if it
    > cronks out.

    > In my case, any serious I/O on the IDE drives quickly results in pretty
    > technicolor on the VGA screen, and then a hard lockup.

    No, no technicolor or other sounds effects. The whole thing just
    locks up with a power switch as the only option.

    > Furthermore, after power-reset, 2.4.x, x=0 or 1, cannot successfully fsck
    > the drives. It hangs after about the 2nd-3rd partition, again in a hard
    > lockup.

    My box is much healtier than that. Regardless if I booted into a file
    system on a SCSI drive or on an IDE drive (I happen to have those
    options although I prefer IDE - I have there something which I can loose
    without any real pain :-) I can still fsck drives healthy after the
    crash but I did NOT risk fsck under 2.4.1. Things looks way too screwy
    for this.

    > My WAG is that there are problems in the ALI driver.

    Possibly, but I crashed the whole thing without mounting anything from
    IDE drives at all. There are still there but unused. I simply managed
    to get something in logs for the case described. Note that errors
    I quoted are from a device 08:05, i.e. SCSI driver (/dev/sda5 to be
    more precise). When my compiler went bonkers and started to read
    clearly some random stuff instead of sources then the whole action was
    happening on a SCSI drive.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.022 / U:86.084 seconds]