    SubjectRe: VM brokenness, possibly related to reiserfs
    On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, David Ford wrote:

    > The dumps are large so they are located at

    I can't seem to resolve this domain ...

    > Here's the story. I boot and startx, I load xmms and netscape
    > to eat away memory. When free buffers/cache falls below 7M the
    > system stalls and the only recovery is sysrq-E or reboot. At
    > the moment of stall the disk will grind continuously for about
    > 25 to 30 minutes then go silent. At this point in time the only
    > recovery is reboot, sysrq-E won't work.

    > Kernel 2.4.1, with reiserfs, devfs, no patches applied.

    Between 2.4.0 and 2.4.1, a few VM changes were made by
    Linus and Marcelo. These are good changes, but they seem
    to need a little bit of tuning in related code to get
    system behaviour right again.

    I'm working on these changes and should have a (few)
    rebalancing patches out soon to fix the performance

    About the system hanging completely, I wonder if it goes
    away by pressing sysrq-S (sync all disks). If it does,
    maybe Reiserfs was blocking all the pages in the inactive
    list from being written because one of the active pages
    (not a replacement candidate) needed to be written out
    first? Or does the Reiserfs ->writepage() function handle

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.024 / U:1.900 seconds]