SubjectRe: devfs unable to handle permission: 2.4.17-pre[4,5] /
Thomas Hood writes:
> Some devfs permission problems may have arisen because of the
> fact that devfs now notifies devfsd of the creation of
> directories. Many people have devfsd configured to set
> permissions to all devices matching a certain regular
> expression --- e.g., all devices with "sound" in their
> pathname. The problem is that the "sound" directory itself
> matches this regular expression, and so will have its perm
> bits set exactly like the device files' perm bits---e.g.,
> with the eXamine bit cleared. The solution is to edit the
> devfsd config so that it excludes the directory. E.g.,
> instead of:
> REGISTER sound PERMISSIONS root.audio 0664
> (which worked before but won't any more) do:
> REGISTER ^sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 0664
> or something similar.

Hey! Good spotting! Since the person with the problem didn't send in
his devfsd configuration file, I'm guessing you ran across this
problem yourself?

FYI: recent versions of devfsd now also generate synthetic REGISTER
events for directories. So even with older kernels, people need to fix
their config files.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.041 / U:0.192 seconds]