SubjectRe: IRQ Routing Problem on ALi Chipset Laptop (HP Pavilion N5425)

On 4 Dec 2001, Cory Bell wrote:
> 11. Using the patch below (shamelessly stolen from John Clemens and
> modified slightly -
> http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0111.2/0005.html),

someone noticed! ;) Glad to see you also noticed my minor oversight in
using INTERRUPT_PIN instead of the correct INTERRUPT_LINE. Glad someone
found the work useful... A few people have asked me separately for my
patch and are using it successfully on thier laptops with no failure
reports.

> What I'm wondering is - what's broken?
> Is it:
> 1) Bad BIOS? (changing the date is as configurable as it gets - and I
> have updated to the latest available version)

Most probably.. that in combination with number 3.. And, to top it all
off, ACPI is thrown in there too as a non-PCI device on IRQ9. All in all,
quite a quirky laptop (for reference, I own an N5430, an earlier version
of your notebook).

> 2) Bad Linux interperetation of ALi IRQ router? (comments in
> linux/arch/i386/kernel/pci-irq.c seem to suggest it's possible)

Doubtful, as I have an Ali Aladdin7 board in my desktop (don't get much
more obscure than that one), and the Router works fine, as well as in a
Magik1 based motherboard I've used.

> Is there a "correct" way to fix this? Info follows. If anyone would like
> additional info (full dmesg output, etc) I'd be happy to email it
> seperately.

I've been wondering this one myself... one thing these laptops do
implement is a complete DMI table.. maybe we can do some sort of fixup
through there... does anyone know of any way to use the "DMI workarounds"
to effect PCI IRQ mapping -without- modifying the generic pci code?

And I like you patch, it's a slightly cleaner for of ugly than mine :).

john.c

--
John Clemens http://www.deater.net/john
john@deater.net ICQ: 7175925, IM: PianoManO8