SubjectRe: [kbuild-devel] Converting the 2.5 kernel to kbuild 2.5
On Tue, 04 Dec 2001, RaúlNúñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:

> Why must I install Python in order to compile the kernel? I don't
> understand this. I think there are better alternatives, but kbuild
> seems to be imposed any way.

Because the Gods of the Kernel command so, simply put. I fail to see the
mutual implications of kbuild and CML2 however. I have until now seen
these as separate (independent of each other) efforts which are both
proposed for early 2.5.x inclusion.

> >What are the precise issues with Python? Just claiming it is an
> >issue is not useful for discussing this. Archive pointers are
> >welcome.
>
> Well, let's start writing kernel drivers with Python, Perl, PHP,
> awk, etc... And, why not, C++, Ada, Modula, etc...

Please don't mix the "layers" here. You don't need Python to run the
kernel.

> The kernel should depend just on the compiler and assembler, IMHO.

less Documentation/Changes
/Current Minimal Requirements -- that's for running, BTW, not for
compiling. Oops.

--
Matthias Andree

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin