SubjectRe: [Linux-ia64] Announce: kdb v1.9 is available for kernel 2.4.16
Date

> While I sort of see Linus' point, there are two cases where it falls down
> most often for me.

Actually, I don't see any part of Linus' point. Kdb is a tool, just as
much as vi or cscope are tools that aid in kernel development. Anyone
who would throw away a useful tool because he doesn't think it is pretty
(or that a tool should be used at all) is a fool.

The biggest advantage to kdb is its ability to help understand code
more quickly than just reading it. The ability to stop at a particular
point and see how you got there can aid in the process of learning the
source and the multitude of pathways through the code.

Additionally, one can often repair a defect by modifying a register
and continuing, thus increasing productivity over debug techniques that
include printk() and reboot.

scott