    SubjectRe: hints at modifying kswapd params in 2.4.16

    hmm, i did some snooping aroudn and I concluded that I worded my
    questions wrong (not including bad grammar). My question should be:

    What is the latest kernel with the old VM? The 2.4.13-ac8?

    Sven Heinicke writes:

    > Does the AC kernel still have the old VM? I really wanna stick the
    > the new stuff but but a need a stable system. Older kernels 2.4.8 had
    > highmem issues, not the 2.4.16 has kswap issues.
    >
    > Ken Brownfield writes:
    > > Yes, 2.4.16 fixed a major source of kswapd thrashing for (at least)
    > > mmapped memory, but there are still some corner cases left which I've
    > > also seen. For instance, in the new case I'm seeing kswapd thrashing
    > > even when freepages hasn't been reached under heavy I/O. I'm under the
    > > impression that this behavior is more of a mis-behavior rather than a
    > > mis-tuning.
    > >
    > > I don't think I've seen a response to my recent post go by; hopefully
    > > the VM issues can still be debugged soon even after the handoff to
    > > Marcelo... :-)
    > > --
    > > Ken.
    > > brownfld@irridia.com
    > >
    > > PS: The hardware in question on my end is an HP LH6000r, 6-way Xeon, 4GB.
    > >
    > > On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:00:41PM -0500, Sven Heinicke wrote:
    > > |
    > > | We have been having many problems on a Dell PowerEdge 4400 with 4G of
    > > | memory. We are willing to get new hardware if, perhaps, there is
    > > | something known to not work with that hardwares memory. If there are
    > > | known hardware configurations that work will in high load, high IO
    > > | situations. We really want to stay with Linux, but my boss is getting
    > > | increasingly agitated with issues.
    > > |
    > > | Our application has, on the order of 300 network sockets open at any
    > > | one time primarily for input. And only 1 or 2 for output. We
    > > | constantly malloc/free 100k of memory, I mean a lot. Plus do a fair
    > > | amount of SCSI IO. The threads never use more then like 300M of
    > > | memory at a time though caching memory fills up to like 2G. I believe
    > > | it would work on a system with 1G of memory.
    > > |
    > > | With kernels 2.4.14 and before, including some AA kernels, the cache
    > > | would fill up memory and do a little swapping to disk and then start
    > > | the just-in-time free memory stuff. We where very happy when 2.4.16
    > > | seems smarter about this then previous version and never uses more
    > > | then ~2G of cachememory.
    > > |
    > > | But, after running for a time, kswapd starts taking more CPU time then
    > > | the threads we are running and slowing down the processing. Is this
    > > | something wrong with kswapd or might modifying files in /proc/sys/vm/
    > > | fix this?
    > > |
    > > | If modifying files in /proc/sys/vm/ can fix it, what should one
    > > | consider when modifying the /proc/sys/vm/kswapd and other files to
    > > | suit my applications? Also, in my /proc/sys/vm directory there is
    > > | only the following files:
    > > |
    > > | $ ls /proc/sys/vm
    > > | bdflush max-readahead overcommit_memory pagetable_cache
    > > | kswapd min-readahead page-cluster
    > > |
    > > | With 2.4.16 I though I should have others as described in the proc.txt
    > > | file, like `buffermem', `pagecache' and others. How do I get these,
    > > | and once I do have them some hints on how to modify there values to
> [...]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.025 / U:30.368 seconds]