SubjectRe: [kbuild-devel] Converting the 2.5 kernel to kbuild 2.5
"Eric S. Raymond" wrote:

> Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
> > > Creating a dependency on Python? Is a non-issue. Current systems that
> > > are to run 2.5 or 2.6 are bloated beyond belief by glibc already, Python
> > > is nice and it does not create such unmaintainable mess. Whether
> >
> > Python2 - which means most users dont have it.
>
> I'm pretty sure that's true any more, Alan. Red Hat shipped Python 2 in
> 7.1, so the RPM-based distros like KRUD and Mandrake have had it for
> seven months. Debian had it before that.
>
> Requiring 2.0 looked aggressive when I did it, but it wasn't -- I could
> safely project that it would be deployed everywhere except on a set of
> measure zero by the time the actual cutover happened.

~# rpm -qa | grep -i python
python-1.5.2-35
python-xmlrpc-1.5.0-1
pythonlib-1.28-1
rpm-python-4.0.3-1.03
python-devel-1.5.2-35

Just another megaton unnecessary programming language to compile
somehting like the kernel? I think you are exaggerating the problem.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.144 / U:25.764 seconds]