SubjectAIC7xxx and nasty EISA probing
Justin,

I hope you are still the maintainer of the linux aic7xxx driver, and this
is not just stale info.

I have a user who is reporting nasty interference by the AIC driver into
other devices. Digging shows the aic7770_linux_probe() routine doing EISA
accesses to io-ports at will. I've seen the aic7xxx=no_probe comments, but
I wanted to make a small suggestion.

I'd suggest you make no_probe be the default. I'd much rather see a
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_PROBE option which enabled EISA/VLB probing (which are
probably the minority of devices) and did not interfere with the default
PCI (which I'd guess to be a majority) systems.

If you'd like I can make a patch for this, but the changes should be very
elementary.

As it is, the user has a work around, but I think the other way around
would make a lot more sense and be a fair bit friendlier to the average
user.

Thanks, and let me know if you want me to do the work.

Tim
--
Tim Hockin
Systems Software Engineer