    SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: [patch] Re: Framebuffer...Why oh Why???

    > > Granted, frame buffers have usage in embedded systems, but do they
    > > really have to be so deeply integrated??
    > They aren't.
    > No sane person should use frame buffers if they have the choice.
    > Like your mama told you: "Just say no". Use text-mode and X11, and be
    > happy.
    > Some people don't have the choice, of course.

    Some. Try pretty much every platform except ix86. Plus now that M$ doesn't
    support DOS you are starting to see graphics card manufactures dropping
    VGA support. Even BIOS setup interfaces use the VESA graphics interface
    these days. So VGA text days are numbered. I agree the framebuffer/console
    layer really needs to reworked to do the right things. I plan to do that
    for 2.5.X.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.026 / U:2.080 seconds]