SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: [patch] Re: Framebuffer...Why oh Why???

> > Granted, frame buffers have usage in embedded systems, but do they
> > really have to be so deeply integrated??
> They aren't.
> No sane person should use frame buffers if they have the choice.
> Like your mama told you: "Just say no". Use text-mode and X11, and be
> happy.
> Some people don't have the choice, of course.

Some. Try pretty much every platform except ix86. Plus now that M$ doesn't
support DOS you are starting to see graphics card manufactures dropping
VGA support. Even BIOS setup interfaces use the VESA graphics interface
these days. So VGA text days are numbered. I agree the framebuffer/console
layer really needs to reworked to do the right things. I plan to do that
for 2.5.X.