SubjectRe: The direction linux is taking
> the human doing the merging.  So far, it seems more like nobody is
> doing any merging, Dave says someone does but nobody else has spoken

Lots of people do. I get all my wireless, my isdn, my usb
patches all nicely prepacked and merged for example.

> up and I tend to think that merging is not a common process in the
> Linux tree, the rate of change sort of indicates that. I suspect

The primary limit on the rate of change is the rate at which Linus merges
stuff, nothing else.

> is happening in the Linux/PPC development nor the MySQL development.
> They have merge conflicts all the time and we have years of data to prove

For the ppc folks I guess because they are keeping a parallel tree. Thats a
totally different animal because you collide continually with things you've
submitted and changes in the core tree.