SubjectRe: State of the new config & build system
Dave Jones wrote:

> Things have changed dramatically since 1995.
> In particular, distros got a lot friendlier to install, and customise.
> If theres a valid reason for Aunt Tillie to rebuild her kernel, it means
> her distro of choice is doing something wrong.

Yes, Aunt Tillie should not have to build a new kernel. But 13-year-old
Joe Geek might want to try that out, as well as your next door neighbor,
who just might be an IT guy, trying to switch his department to Linux.

> Dumbing down the learning curve doesn't necessary make things easier
> for people to learn. Reluctance to read documentation for eg is something
> that will plague us no matter how simple we make it to build kernels.

I'm not talking about dumbing down the learning curve. This is about
tools that do the job they're supposed to do in a correct way, without
having to rely on some inside voodoo magic, that is poorly documented,
if at all.

Cheers,
Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.092 / U:2.336 seconds]