    SubjectRe: Coding style - a non-issue
    Horst von Brand wrote:

    > Have you got any idea how QA is done in closed environments?

    Yes I do. I write commercial sofware for 10 years and have
    experience with QA systems in two companies, one of them
    major. I think I have seen the full range of QA in various projects -
    from a complete negation to a silly buerocratic inefficient one.

    > Complex software *has* bugs, bugs which aren't apparent
    > except under unsusual circumstances are rarely found in the
    > first round of bug chasing.

    Sure. But we now have 2.4.16, not 2.4.0 and guess what? -
    there is a big thread about fs corruption going right now
    in the l-k :-( This should _not_ happen in the stab{le,ilizing}
    series and if it happened, the cause should be identified
    and measures taken.

    I for one think that the kernel has overgrown its current
    development model and that some _incremental_ steps
    in the direction of both more formal control and delegation
    of responsibilities are needed. I think that the most active
    kernel developers should discuss the future of the development
    model, as they are the only ones that can really come up
    with a solution.

    It is of course only my opinion - if I am alone having it, forget it.

    > > As a user of the vendor's kernel I have no idea what to do
    > > with a bug.
    > Report it to the vendor, through the documented channels?

    Did this. It is two months, I did some cornering of the problem
    and augmented the report several times. The issue is still NEW,
    without any response asking to try a patch, supply more details
    or such. Yes, this speaks more of the vendor than of the Linux.
    But what impression do you think the average user gets from
    such experience?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.044 / U:2.196 seconds]