    SubjectRe: The direction linux is taking
    In article <> you write:
    >If my understanding of the new kbuild and configure system is correct,
    >make clean and dep should be largely unnecessary and it should be possible
    >to build a patchbot that checks for incremental compilability:
    >for the current kernel release:
    > unpack tree
    > build the tree with default options (unprivileged user, obviously)

    One thing that should not be forgotten is the risk of trojan horses
    here, in practice the Makefile is a shell script, so to apply any
    patch and the compile with it would be a bit dangerous. It might be
    possible to limit the patchbot to only accept code changes, but
    that might remove most of the benefits. Also, I don't know how much
    magic one might do with a properly crafted #include statement, such
    as "#include /etc/passwd" and then the error message will contain
    the encypted password for root (shadow passwords fix this specific
    problem, but you get the idea :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.023 / U:37.680 seconds]