    SubjectRe: State of the new config & build system
    Legacy Fishtank wrote:
    > On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 03:44:10PM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:
    > > What Mr. Fishtank seems to overlook is that kbuild 2.5 is far more
    > > flexible and accurate than 2.4, including features that lots of people
    > > want, like separate source and object trees.
    > I don't see the masses, or, well, anybody on lkml, clamoring for this.

    The current system has some significant problems. Pet peeves:

    - Failure to rebuild the right things after you've applied a patch
    - Doesn't work when the same tree is accessed via different paths
    (make dep on local machine, build across nfs)
    - Mysterious recompilation of things which you've already compiled.

    > IIRC from the kernel summit SGI was the only entity clamoring for this.
    > > Now that the overall
    > > kbuild design is correct, the core code can be rewritten for speed.
    > > And that will be done a couple of weeks after kbuild 2.5 goes into the
    > > kernel, then I expect kbuild 2.5 to be faster than kbuild 2.4 even on
    > > full builds.
    > Ok... you want kbuild into 2.5 ASAP, only to submit a rewrite two weeks later?

    An optimisation of one bit, Keith says. I'd guess that his two-week
    estimate is optimistic because he'll have a busy two weeks supporting
    the patch once it goes in, but whatever.

    > If so it makes even less sense to get kbuild into 2.5.x now.

    Keith says it speeds up builds where only a small number of files
    have changed. For me, that's the common case.

    I'd like to hear more from Keith on where this 100% actually occurs,
    but if he says it's fixable in a (give him four) week timeframe,
    I believe him.

    As you know, I'd be more concerned about moves to drop support
    for the older and much faster gcc versions. If you're not using
    egcs-1.1.2, you're already a very patient person.

    > Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.023 / U:76.632 seconds]