SubjectRe: State of the new config & build system

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> I'm not certain what you're objecting to, and I want to understand it.
> There are rules that use architecture symbols to suppress things like
> bus types. I presume that's not a problem for you, but tell me if it is.

It _is_ a problem for me, because I want to do "diffstat" on a patch from
a PPC maintainer, and if I see anything non-PPC, loud ringing
noises go off in my head. I want that diffstat to say _only_

arch/ppc/...
include/asm-ppc/...

and nothing else. That way I know that I don't have to worry.

In contrast, if it starts talking about Documentation/Configure.help and
the main config file, I start worrying.

For example, that MATHEMU thing is just ugly. It was perfectly fine in the
per-architecture version, now it suddenly has magic dependencies just
because different architectures call it different things, and different
architectures have different rules on when it's needed.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.425 / U:1.456 seconds]