SubjectRe: 2.4.x kernels, big ide disks and old bios
On Tue, 25 Dec 2001 19:09:22 -0000
"James Stevenson" <mail-lists@stev.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> i have the same problem weith a 40GB disk
> its not a linux problem but a bios / disk problem
>
> my workaround:
>
> dont set the jumper on the disk to make it look smaller.
> this however will stop it working in the bios so you need to
> disable the disk in the bios completly and turn off the ide
> auto detection process in the bios this is because it will
> probably hang if you try to use it :)
>
> linux will then pick the disk up from the ide controller.

I tried this one some time ago, and had to find out, that I was not able to
write to the upper cylinders of the disk. You can check this out _before_ using
the drive via dd from /dev/zero to your /dev/drive and look at the results.

Regards,
Stephan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.104 / U:9.812 seconds]