    SubjectRe: Booting a modular kernel through a multiple streams file
    On Saturday 22 December 2001 21:10, Alexander Viro wrote:

    > > cpio is trivial. tar is a bit more painful, but not too bad. gzip is
    > > unacceptable, but should not be required.
    > tar is ugly as hell and not going to be supported on the kernel side.

    Excellent! You've settled on using using an archiver format nobody uses,
    instead of the defacto standard that's already been implemented by
    atleast two people.

    >IIRC, his objections back then were about linking archive into the kernel
    >image. s/disaster/ugly stuff that was nowhere near top-priority and got
    >fixed since then/ and I agree with that one.

    Ahh good. Maybe you'll wise up to supporting tar as well. Then in
    maybe a year and a half from now standard Linux will finally have
    what I've had in production for 3 years...

    The time is now 22:54 (Totalitarian) -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.021 / U:14.080 seconds]