    SubjectRe: Booting a modular kernel through a multiple streams file
    Date
    On Saturday 22 December 2001 19:42, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Dave Cinege wrote:
    > > On Tuesday 18 December 2001 14:10, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > >>Note that Al is working on a replacement; he's not just bitching. The
    > >>replacement is called "initramfs" which means populating a ramfs from
    > >>an archive or collection of archives passwd by the bootloader. With
    > >>that in there, lots of things can be done in userspace.
    > >
    > > Already done for many months (actully years) now. If I thought it
    > > would be accepted, I'd gut rd.c and fully merge it into a 2.5 patch.
    >
    > Viro's going quite a bit beyond this, though.

    Disaster is the word that comes to mind when I think about the last
    initramfs patch I looked at (be it several months ago)

    > Also, a big key is the
    > ability to have multiple images, some of which may not be compressed.

    Initrd Dynamic already supports multiple tar.gz archives. If I thought
    their was a need I could support uncompressed tar's with a few small
    changes.

    I've patched GRUB to support loading the mutiple images. It would also
    be supported in syslinux, if you choose to implement it. Months
    ago when I asked you to implement it, you told me the idea was
    stupid. : P I will never let you forget this myopia. : >

    Dave

    --
    The time is now 22:54 (Totalitarian) - http://www.ccops.org/