    SubjectRe: [OT] DRM OS
    On Thursday 20 December 2001 06:40 pm, Marco Ermini wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:44:41 -0200 (BRST)
    > Rik van Riel <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I watch DVD's with DeCSS. Come and get me.
    > >
    > > Punishable by fines of up to $500,000 and 5 years
    > > in prison, per violation.
    > But not in Europe. Only in the USA. Algorithms may not be subjected to
    > patents in Europe (by now).
    > Anyway, maybe you may not get catched in the intimacy of your room. But I
    > could understand that it's not acceptable as a legitimate proposal for a
    > worldwide used OS, as Linux is, to suggest to every single user to violate
    > the law in the intimacy of their room to be able to use it. I may feel safe
    > in my own room and I may use these tools if I'm able to, but I can't
    > propose to anyone to use these such tools, that's the point.
    > bye

    I feel i should have my opinions voiced here too. First of all, the USA has
    to many weird laws regarding to copyright. As a Canadian myself, i dont feel
    its fair that someone can go to jail for such a long time because of watching
    thier _own_ dvd disk they bought out of thier _own_ money. Its all about
    greed. If thier wasent so much greed from these billionaires, the world would
    be a better place. And seeing them _trying_ to make hardware standard to stop
    copying is even more sick. And them trying to change the laws to the worst by
    using the anti-terrorism bill is enough to make one puke. The RIAA wanted
    rights to literally _hack_ thier way into peoples boxes and delete all of
    thier stolen MP3s. Ive heard this, and i laughed so hard anyone could hear
    me. Now that they didnt get those rights, thier trying to get sound card
    makers to put crap in thier products since they couldnt get the hard disk
    manufacturers to. Will they ever stop? Thier "DRM OS" and "DRM hardware" is
    what they drool over, even tho thiers _ways_ to get by any form of methods.
    And heck, who will buy this kinda crap hardware? And do ya think the rest of
    the world is going to manufacturer such hardware when its only the USA
    whining to get such hardware? Remember the DVD? "Oh, thier never going to
    crack by its encryption."

    just my 2 cents,