    SubjectRe: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.help.
    From
     Mike Jagdis wrote:

    > Rene Engelhard wrote:
    >
    >> Christian Groessler wrote:
    >>> So, is it 1/1024 or 1/1000 bytes ? :-)
    >>>

    >> 1/1024. Because we are talking about byte.
    >
    > Bollocks. How can I put this politely? Don't anyone ever send me
    > a CV unless you know the technical basics!

    OK, I answered to fast, not reading the mails correct and without
    concentration
    Surely, millibytes does not make any sense...

    > Go look up "SI binary prefix" and "SI prefix" on Google. You might
    > not _like_ the binary prefixes (I don't either) but they're what's
    > been standardized and they're unambiguous. It does no good to claim
    > that it's enough that *you* know what you mean. This isn't Alice in
    > Wonderland (you can look that reference up in your spare time :-) ).

    A long time ago the MB was under computer scientiests defined as 1024 KB ans
    we had used it it one or two decades. Then the hardware manufactures started
    to call 1 MB = 1000 MB and that's shit.

    I know this problem, I also know the problem, that is gonna be confusing.
    I do not insist to change it but I think it is better to make clear what is
    defined as 1000 or 1024 insted using MB for both.

    > P.S. After you've understood the SI system you should be able to
    > tell us what the binary prefix equivalent for m is and why K as
    > a prefix is a mark of stupidity...

    Have I said that?

    Then I apopolgize. Otherwise I read the mail I replied not as careful as I
    should and I talked at this moment whitch someone so I was not as
    concentraded as I had to...

    Rene

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.026 / U:5.960 seconds]