    SubjectRe: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in
    On Friday 21 December 2001 22:32, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Followup to: <>
    > By author: Timothy Covell <>
    > In newsgroup:
    > > No, the US never went metric. That's why $200M Mars probes crash on
    > > entry due to some idiot using English units as opposed to the NASA
    > > standard of Metrics. The funny thing is that Thomas Jefferson, an
    > > American President, suggested the Metric system to the French while he
    > > was ambassador there.
    > Ewhat?!
    > -hpa

    I'm assuming that you're questioning Jefferson's role. Here are a couple of
    quotations which show that Jefferson's idea predated the official
    implemenation. I can do more digging if need be.

    1791 - "Jefferson Report." Thomas Jefferson described England's weight and
    measures standards to Congress "on the supposition that the present measures
    are to be retained," and also outlined a decimal system of weights and
    measures of Jefferson's conception.

    As the scientists were experimenting in their laboratories, practical
    tradesmen were making themselves permanent standards. In 1793, during
    Napoleon's time, the French government adopted a new system of standards
    called the metric system, based on what they called the metre.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.022 / U:0.644 seconds]