    SubjectRe: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.help.
    Date
    On Friday 21 December 2001 22:32, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Followup to: <200112220152.fBM1qJSr022347@svr3.applink.net>
    > By author: Timothy Covell <timothy.covell@ashavan.org>
    > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
    >
    > > No, the US never went metric. That's why $200M Mars probes crash on
    > > entry due to some idiot using English units as opposed to the NASA
    > > standard of Metrics. The funny thing is that Thomas Jefferson, an
    > > American President, suggested the Metric system to the French while he
    > > was ambassador there.
    >
    > Ewhat?!
    >
    > -hpa

    I'm assuming that you're questioning Jefferson's role. Here are a couple of
    quotations which show that Jefferson's idea predated the official
    implemenation. I can do more digging if need be.

    1791 - "Jefferson Report." Thomas Jefferson described England's weight and
    measures standards to Congress "on the supposition that the present measures
    are to be retained," and also outlined a decimal system of weights and
    measures of Jefferson's conception.

    And:

    As the scientists were experimenting in their laboratories, practical
    tradesmen were making themselves permanent standards. In 1793, during
    Napoleon's time, the French government adopted a new system of standards
    called the metric system, based on what they called the metre.

    --
    timothy.covell@ashavan.org.