SubjectRe: Booting a modular kernel through a multiple streams file / Making Linux multiboot capable and grub loading kernel modules at boot time.
Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Agreed. And to completely dispel the myth. Etherboot has been doing
> something similar for years. It disables interrupts in 32bit mode so
> it doesn't have quite as much work to do but otherwise it is pretty
> much the same picture.

If you disable interrupts in 32-bit mode a lot of things will not work.

> I finally tracked down the reason why Setup.S is run in real mode,
> instead of being called from protected mode. And that is in extremely
> hostile environments (like loadlin works in) loading the kernel wrecks
> the firmware callbacks. So you must do your BIOS calls as a special
> case before you switch to protected mode.

No, it's because it was easier to do it that way -- do all BIOS calls
once and for all in the early part of the execution of the kernel, and
then forget about it.

-hpa

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.051 / U:1.888 seconds]