SubjectRe: Scheduler, Can we save some juice ...
Date
On December 19, 2001 22:33, Timothy Covell wrote:
> OK, here's another 0.1% for you. Considering how Linux SMP
> doesn't have high CPU affinity, would it be possible to make a
> patch such that the additional CPUs remain in deep sleep/HALT
> mode until the first CPU hits a high-water mark of say 90%
> utilization? I've started doing this by hand with the (x)pulse
> application. My goal is to save electricity and cut down on
> excess heat when I'm just browsing the web and not compiling
> or seti@home'ing.

I seriously doubt there would be a noticable power consumption or heat
difference between two CPU's running HLT half the time, and one CPU running
HLT all the time. And I'm downright certain it isn't worth the code
complexity even if it was, there is very little (read: no) intersection
between the SMP and low-power user base.

-Ryan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.106 / U:0.536 seconds]