SubjectIBM Thinkpad T21: Hotplugging of cdrom and floppy devices
Hello all,

I'm using actual 2.4.x-kernels with the laptop I mentioned in the subject.

When I put off my floppy-device (/dev/fd1) and put in my cdrom-device
(/dev/hdc; both no pcmcia-devices) or vice versa, the kernel doesn't
recognize this change. The change - LED of the laptop is blinking until
I suspend the laptop for example with apm -s or with the keyboard Fn-F4
and rewake it. After this "little sleep", the kernel suddenly knows
about the new hardware and it can handle it.

I tested the hotplugging-feature of the kernel 2.4.x - but I couldn't
get it working.

Is there any other possibility to give the kernel a chance to detect a
hardware change without going through the suspend-mode? I mean, is there
a piece of software, which does the same as in the wake-up-situation of
the notebook after suspend?

Thank you for your advice,
Andreas Hartmann

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.045 / U:0.444 seconds]