    SubjectRe: Coding style - a non-issue
    hpa@zytor.com (H. Peter Anvin)  wrote on 30.11.01 in <9u8qtu$u2b$1@cesium.transmeta.com>:

    > By author: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>

    > > "Paul G. Allen" wrote:
    > > > IMEO, there is but one source as reference for coding style: A book by
    > > > the name of "Code Complete". (Sorry, I can't remember the author and I
    > > > no longer have a copy. Maybe my Brother will chime in here and fill in
    > > > the blanks since he still has his copy.)
    > >
    > > Hungarian notation???
    > >
    > > That was developed by programmers with apparently no skill to
    > > see/remember how a variable is defined. IMHO in the Linux community
    > > it's widely considered one of the worst coding styles possible.
    > >

    > Indeed. What can you say for a technique which basically promotes
    > *reducing* abstraction and information hiding?
    >
    > There is a reason why the Win64 ABI uses the same "int" and "long" as
    > Win32... (both are 32 bits.) They added meaningless abstractions, and
    > didn't add abstractions where they needed to...

    Well, that doesn't necessarily make the idea itself completely crap just
    because the standard implementation is.

    Sure, calling a variable "I point to a char! And by the way, I'm named
    Fritz" may be a bad idea, but in some situations it may well make sense to
    say that a certain variable is a container and another is a lock.

    And it seems that sometimes, the kernel does just that. (pagecache_lock,
    page_list, just picking two fast examples from 2.4.0 mm)

    But lpfilename is, indeed, fucking insane.

    MfG Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.052 / U:60.056 seconds]