    SubjectRe: Booting a modular kernel through a multiple streams file
    On Wed Dec 19, 2001 at 09:27:29AM +0000, James A Sutherland wrote:
    > What I was suggesting is that using an initfs (whether initrd, initramfs or
    > something else) is a better approach than trying to get the bootloader
    > grovelling around in the kernel innards - initramfs strengthens this
    > argument, I think. Just put the modules into archives, and use initramfs to
    > access them and a copy of insmod...

    Here is a simple example... Take busybox, disable everything but
    insmod and lash (the simplest of the busybox shells). Staticly
    link vs uClibc -- the result is 61k (far less then the 440k from
    glibc). Now make a root fs that contains just /bin/sh (the
    busybox binary), /sbin/insmod (a symlink to /bin/sh), and then
    fill up / of your root fs with all the modules you wish to load.
    Add in a simple script as /linuxrc or /sbin/init with something

    /sbin/insmod /foo.o

    Now, gzip the result. With about 60k worth of modules, the final
    initrd will compress to about 60k. Simple, easy, small, and all
    in userspace,

    Erik B. Andersen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.022 / U:0.148 seconds]