SubjectRe: aio
On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 06:47:18PM -0800, David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com> wrote:
| (Though an attitude like yours is a core reason Java is
| spreading as slowly as it is - much like Linux desktops...)
| It's actually Sun's fault more than anyone else's.

Debatable. But fortunately off topic.

| However, heavily threaded apps regardless of language are hardly likely
| to disappear; threads are the natural way to write many many things. And
| if the kernel implements threads as on Linux, then the scheduler will
| become much more important to good performance.
| We are not talking about the scheduler, we are talking about
| AIO.

It was in the same thread - I must have ignored the detail switch. Ignore
me in turn. But while I'm here, tell me why async I/O is important
to Java and not to anything else, which still seems the thrust of your
remarks.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743 cs@zip.com.au http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent
psychopath who knows where you live.
- Martin Golding, DoD #0236, martin@plaza.ds.adp.com