SubjectRe: aio
On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:21:36 -0500, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
>People are throwing money at the problem. We're now at a point that in
>order to provide the interested people with something they can use, we
>need some kind of way to protect their applications against calling an
>unsuspecting new mmap syscall instead of the aio syscall specified in
>the kernel they compiled against.

One option is to use a mechanism where the kernel selects the aio
syscall number from any of the available numbers, and publishes it
in some easily accessible location. User-space then needs to grab it
from that location at app/lib init time before doing any actual work.
(This of course goes away when/if you do get an official syscall number.)

This is at least how I intend to do the "ioctl on device" to "real
syscall" transition for my x86 performance counters driver.

/Mikael

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.037 / U:5.764 seconds]