SubjectRe: The direction linux is taking
On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Eyal Sohya wrote:

> I've watched this List and have some questions to ask
> which i would appreciate are answered. Some might not
> have definite answers and we might be divided on them.

My opinions only!!

> 1. Are we satisfied with the source code control system ?

With CVS, probably -- it's open source and rather universally known.
With the version control *process* ... well ... I personally favor a
full SEI CMM level 2 or even level 3 process. Whether there are open
source tools to facilitate that process is another story.

> 2. Is there enough planning for documentation ? As another poster
> mentioned, there are new API and we dont know about them.

There is, as it turns out, a tremendous *amount* of documentation,
although it is not as centralized as it could be. Again, I favor the SEI
CMM model.

> 3. There is no central bug tracking database. At least people should
> know the status of the bugs they have found with some releases.

Absolutely! Bug tracking and source / version control ought to be
integrated and centralized.

> 4. Aggressive nature of this mailing list itself may be a turn off to
> many who would like to contribute.

Well ... peer review / code walkthroughs are part of SEI CMM level 3
IIRC, and peer review is an important part of the scientific process. We
all have our opinions and our reasons for being here and levels of
contribution we are willing and able to make. When all is said and done,
more is said than done :)). A lot *is* getting done! The only things I
would change about this list are a reliable digest, a *vastly* better
search engine and a better mailing list manager than majordomo.

--
Ed Borasky znmeb@aracnet.com http://www.borasky-research.net

Give me your brains or I'll blow your money out.