SubjectRe: Scheduler ( was: Just a second ) ...

[ cc'd back to Linux kernel, in case somebody wants to take a look whether
there is something wrong in the sound drivers, for example ]

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

> This is no benchmark. This is my home machine it's taking a bite out of.
> I'm trying to websurf and play mp3's and read email here. No forkbombs.
> No databases. No made-up benchmarks. I don't know what it's doing (or
> trying to do) in there but I'd like the CPU cycles back.
>
> From a recent /proc/profile dump on 2.4.17-pre1 (no patches), my top 5
> (excluding default_idle) are:
> 22420 total 0.0168
> 4624 default_idle 96.3333
> 1280 schedule 0.6202
> 1130 handle_IRQ_event 11.7708
> 929 file_read_actor 9.6771
> 843 fast_clear_page 7.5268

The most likely cause is simply waking up after each sound interrupt: you
also have a _lot_ of time handling interrupts. Quite frankly, web surfing
and mp3 playing simply shouldn't use any noticeable amounts of CPU.

The point being that I really doubt it's the scheduler proper, it's
probably how it is _used_. And I'd suspect your sound driver (or user)
conspires to keep scheduling stuff.

For example (and this is _purely_ an example, I don't know if this is
your particular case), this sounds like a classic case of "bad buffering".
What bad buffering would do is:
- you have a sound buffer that the mp3 player tries to keep full
- your sound buffer is, let's pick a random number, 64 entries of 1024
bytes each.
- the sound card gives an interrupt every time it has emptied a buffer.
- the mp3 player is waiting on "free space"
- we wake up the mp3 player for _every_ sound fragment filled.

Do you see what this leads to? We schedule the mp3 task (which gets a high
priority because it tends to run for a really short time, filling just 1
small buffer each time) _every_ time a single buffer empties. Even though
we have 63 other full buffers.

The classic fix for these kinds of things is _not_ to make the scheduler
faster. Sure, that would help, but that's not really the problem. The
_real_ fix is to use water-marks, and make the sound driver wake up the
writing process only when (say) half the buffers have emptied.

Now the mp3 player can fill 32 of the buffers at a time, and gets
scheduled an order of magnitude less. It doesn't end up waking up every
time.

Which sound driver are you using, just in case this _is_ the reason?

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.129 / U:0.332 seconds]