    SubjectRe: your mail

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Jens Axboe wrote:

    > On Fri, Dec 14 2001, Gérard Roudier wrote:
    > > > I fixed the problem by seeing what the sym
    > > > driver did i.e. the patch below
    > > > This may not be right at all, and I haven't had a
    > > > chance to boot the kernel - but it did build OK.
    > >
    > > The ncr53c8xx and sym53c8xx version 1 use the obsolete scsi eh handling.
    > > Moving the eh code from sym53c8xx_2 (version 2) to ncr53c8xx/sym53c8xx is
    > > quite feasible, but may-be it is just useless given sym53c8xx_2. For now,
    > > it seems that sym53c8xx_2 replaces both ncr/sym53c8xx without any loss of
    > > reliability and performance.
    > Gerard,
    > For 2.5, why don't we just yank old sym and ncr out of the kernel? Is
    > there _any_ reason to keep the two older ones given your new driver
    > handles it all?

    On my side, there is obviously no reason to keep them in 2.5, as sym-2 is
    intended to replace them both. Personnaly I have switched to sym-2 on my
    systems since several months.

    However, I donnot consider myself as the only owner of these drivers. The
    owners are all people that may need symbios chips support under Linux. My
    personnal vote, as a user/owner, is to remove them and rely for symbios
    chip support on sym-2.

    Linux stable is a different issue. For this one, I would prefer the old
    drivers to remain in place for a longer time. However, I personnaly will
    not track bugs on old drivers if either,

    - The problem also shows up in sym-2. Then I will try to fix sym-2,
    - Or the problem simply doesn't occur in sym-2.

    This will apply to problems reported directly by users or by packagers.

    By the way, for now, I haven't received any report about sym-2 failing
    when sym-1 or ncr succeeds, and my feeling is that this could well be very

    But I can make mistakes, me too. :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.037 / U:19.804 seconds]