SubjectRe: User/kernelspace stuff to set/get kernel variables
On Thu, Dec 13, 2001, DevilKin wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've been looking on the web, and couldn't really find what i would want...
>
> Basically: is it possible to - one way or another - set variables at kernel boot and read those using userspace utilities?

Sorry, I don't know, but see below for possible solution to your problem anyway.

> for instance: i boot my kernel (using any old bootmanager that accepts kernel params)
>

> LILO: linux network=dhcp

You might want to familiarize yourself with the following kernel parameter:

where most options are obvious, and you'll probably want device to be
"eth0" and autoconf to be "dhcp".

HTH,

Daniel

> and later, in the init scripts, i check the value of this variable using some sort of userspace program, and if it happends to be 'dhcp' i'll invoke the dhcp client.
> Otherwise i'd just give a static address.
>
> I have other uses for this, for instance, you want your disks to be FSCK'ed, but don't wanna boot first, or, don't wanna go in single user mode
>

> LILO: linux dofsck=true
>

> Does something like this exist? Is it implementable in an easy way? (I know a few programming languages, but only little C(++)....)
>
> Thanks
>

> DK
> -

Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics
Department of Physics
Cornell University