    SubjectRe: User-manageable sub-ids proposals
    On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 05:06:29PM +0100, Romano Giannetti wrote:
    > > 2 do we want the "slave" to be able to write the users files
    > Generally no, but you can create a dir where the slave uid can create file
    > (think to a java applet that need temporary files, etc...)

    I think generally temporary files should go to /tmp and not the home
    directory, but yes, there may be reasons to write to specific files in
    the home directory as well.

    > > This should also be possible to implement with minimal impact. All you
    > > need is a new systemcall to allocate a uid for the slave. This means you
    > > need to reserve some uids for this purpose, but with 32bit uids......
    > Yes, but then the slave process is very much _very_ limited. It could need
    > to read/map dynamic libraries, for example; with my approach the slave uid
    > processes are processes that have a full-level citizenship and that can do
    > anything a process can do, but under a different name than the user. Root
    > uses "nobody" to this extent sometime; my proposal is to extend this to
    > every (unprivileged) user in a safe way. Then, you can create a chrooted
    > environment for the new process and tailor the level of access it has
    > depending on the needs.

    Why would the slave not be able to read/map dynamic libraries in my
    sceeme? Such files should be readable by everyone, so I don't see the

    With ACL support I don't see this beeing limited at all. The process can
    be given any rights you desire before changing it's effective userid.

    Ragnar Kjørstad
    Big Storage

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.021 / U:6.748 seconds]