    SubjectRe: Upgrade to 2.4.16 produces "Kernel panic: No init found"
    Lilo might be configured to load a initial ramdisk
    check for a initrd=xxx line in lilo.conf and remove it.

    Then make sure all drivers including scsi, etc are compiled in and reboot
    pivot_root is a routine that changes the root filesystem that is on the ramdisk
    to the newly mounted filesystem from the hardisk

    This will definetly fail if the initrd couldn't be loaded din the first place

    >>> Joy Almacen <joy@empexis.com> 12/11/01 06:10AM >>>
    Bob,

    I have a similar problem. My distro is RH7.1 and running on aCompaq Proliant
    6000.
    The original install boots fine, but is only running on UP not SMP. I grabbed
    the
    latest kernel from RH site and the upgraded utilities, SysVinit and all.
    I even compiled into the kernel the scsi_mod and sd_mod as well as my
    SCSI card driver sym53c8xx but to no avail. It seems that for this
    pivot_root
    call wont work if you do not have dev and loop compiled into the kernel.
    I will recompile the kernel with both selected to find out if this is true.

    So far however, I have tried both:

    1. Creating an initrd for my kernel version that has SCSI drivers as modules,

    2. Compiling the drivers into the kernel with basically the same results, the
    kernel panicking either
    it can not mount the root file system( which is still ext2) or no init being
    found.

    See the docs on initrd fro your kernel as you amy have to change your
    lilo.conf
    to pass parameters to the kernel thru "append" depending on whether you have
    devfs support enabled or not.

    I have been trying to fix this for 3 days now and have , like you had said "
    google'd myself silly".

    I will let you know if I get any luck booting.

    I would also appreciate it if you can let me know if you have a known fix or
    at least the issue that's causing
    this.

    Thanks,

    Joy