    SubjectRe: 2.4.16 & OOM killer screw up (fwd)
    On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 03:59:22PM +0200, Abraham vd Merwe wrote:
    > Hi Andrea!

    > > > Running swapless is a valid configuration, and the kernel is doing
    > >
    > > I'm not saying it's not valid or non interesting.
    > >
    > > It's the mix "I'm running out of memory and I'm swapless" that is the
    > > case not interesting to optimize.
    > >
    > > If you're swapless it means you've enough memory and that you're not
    > > running out of swap. Otherwise _you_ (not the kernel) are wrong not
    > > having swap.
    >
    > The problem is that your VM is unnecesarily eating up memory and then wants
    > swap. That is unacceptable. Having 90% of your memory in buffers/cache and
    > then the OOM killer kicks in because nothing is free is what we're moaning
    > about.

    Dear, Abraham please apply this patch:

    ftp://ftp.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.4/2.4.17pre4aa1.bz2

    on top of a 2.4.17pre4 and then recompile, try again and send me a
    bugreport if you can reproduce. thanks,

    Andrea

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:14    [W:0.041 / U:31.476 seconds]