    SubjectRe: IRQ Routing Problem on ALi Chipset Laptop (HP Pavilion N5425)
    Hi!

    > > He told me there's updated bios, somewhere. Did you try that?
    >
    > Latest BIOS for my machine is 1.03 - didn't help.
    >
    > > What exactly is wrong? You said PIR tables are broken, but with patch
    > > below, it seems to work. What's wrong?
    >
    > Take a look at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/archive/BUSBIOS/pciirq.asp

    That's ... really evil.

    > for some background. Under linux, on an ALi chipset, the "link" numbers
    > are used as an offset into the PCI config space of the ISA bridge, where
    > the IRQ for that "link" is stored. On my machine, the link numbers are
    > 0x01-0x03 (for everything but USB) and 0x59 (for USB). The value at the
    > offset for link 0x59 translates to IRQ 9. The PCI configuration space of
    > the USB controller indicates IRQ 9, as well. See pirq_ali_get() in

    So their BIOS wrongly set irq in config space of USB controller, right?

    > linux/arch/i386/kernel/pci-irq.c for details on how this works.
    >
    > All the last patch does is match the IRQ being considered for the device
    > against the IRQ mask for that device in the PIR table. If it doesn't
    > match, the kernel assigns one that does match the mask.

    Ahha. May that mean that our magic w.r.t. touching pci config space on
    ALI chipsets is wrong?

    > To be clear: with the last patch, USB works, but not the maestro-3,
    > right?

    Yes.

    > The reason I keep asking you for the output of "lspci -vvvxxx" and
    > "dump_pirq" is so I can look at your PIR table and PCI config space and
    > try to determine if the same thing that happened to USB is happening to
    > your maestro. It's possible your maestro problem is completely
    > unrelated. If you're unwilling to provide that informataion for some
    > reason, just let me know and I'll quit asking.

    I thought I already mailed you lspci.... dump_pirq is not installed on
    my machine, I'll try to install it and mail you that info. [Hmm, it
    may be hard, because I'm now on modem link and behind nasty firewall;
    perhaps you could just mail me dump_pirq binary if it does not need
    special libraries?]
    Pavel
    --
    Casualities in World Trade Center: 6453 dead inside the building,
    cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.